Affordable housing is one of the most critical resources for economically successful communities. Trident United Way, in partnership with the United Way Association of South Carolina, was pleased to serve as a subgrantee of the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERA) in awarding grants to 18 local organizations providing housing stability services.
“Trident United Way is honored to receive this $1.25 million award for housing subgrants supporting 18 Dorchester County community partners,” said Trident United Way President & CEO Chloe Knight Tonney. “These grants will ensure that our partners can continue to help community members apply for housing assistance with SC Stay Plus and other local organizations through the end of the year.”
The United Way Association of South Carolina (UWASC) was awarded $11 million in federal funds from SC Housing. These funds were allocated to 39 South Carolina counties through local United Way affiliates. Trident United Way was tasked with dispersing funds exclusively for Dorchester County, as Berkeley and Charleston counties have already received and expended direct federal funds for this purpose. While the funds were specifically allocated for Dorchester County, recipients of the services can reside in Berkeley, Charleston or Dorchester County.
“Local United Ways and their partners serve as trusted community voices in helping local families navigate a complicated housing market,” said Naomi Lett, president and CEO of the United Way Association of SC. “Family stability is critical to the health of our communities and our economy. We are proud to partner with SC Housing to deploy these resources to our local communities.”
The following organizations each received up to $50,000 in subgrants in this round of funding from Trident United Way:
• A Second Chance Resource Center Network United, Inc.
• Center for Heirs' Property Preservation
• Charleston Area Urban League
• Charleston Legal Access
• [Charleston] Pro Bono Legal Services
• Children in Crisis Inc DBA Dorchester Children's Advocacy Center
• Community Resource Center
• Dorchester County Community Outreach
• Dorchester Resource Connection Center TUW
• Family Services, Inc. DBA Origin SC
• Father to Father, Inc
• I AM VOICES, Inc
• Increasing H.O.P.E Financial Training Center
• Magdalene House of Charleston
• Mental Health HEROES
• Ridgeville Community Resource Center Inc.
• The Joy of Jesus Ministries
Services covered under these grants include:
• Eviction prevention counseling
• Eviction diversion counseling
• Housing counseling
• Mediation between landlords and tenants
• Fair housing counseling
• Case management (as part of housing stability)
• Housing-related services for survivors of domestic abuse or human trafficking
• Legal services or attorney’s fees related to eviction proceedings and maintaining housing stability
• Specialized services for individuals with disabilities or seniors that support their ability to access or maintain housing
“Father-to-Father is happy to partner with Trident United Way to provide the tools necessary to help members of our community get back on their feet,” said CEO Tom Swanciger. “Our H2O (Housing to Home Ownership) Program offers a six-week course for our fathers to learn how to navigate the housing market and become home renters or owners. This funding has enabled us to offer two separate courses this year. We are grateful to Trident United Way and SC Housing to have the opportunity to offer these resources to our fathers.”
“The Joy of Jesus Ministries is happy to partner with Trident United Way to empower all people to overcome adversity and achieve their unique purpose,” said CEO Calvin Whitfield. “Providing a holistic collection of services and educational opportunities to address the needs of individuals and families, with a focus on unhoused veterans, justice-involved individuals, survivors of violence and at-risk youth. This funding has enabled us to offer assistance in Dorchester County. We are grateful to Trident United Way and SC Housing to have the opportunity to offer these resources to the community.”
To find out more about SC Stay Plus and other ways to find rental assistance, click here.
About Trident United Way - Celebrating more than 77 years of service, Trident United Way is a catalyst for measurable community transformation in education, financial stability and health. In 2021 The Chronicle of Philanthropy once again voted United Way as America’s favorite charity.